Right at the centre of Sydney’s arts and culture scene is of course the world-famous Sydney Opera House, with an incredible 1,600 performances held there each year. Sydney’s vibrant array of arts and culture extends beyond those iconic sails and into a city of culture renowned for fantastic theatres, museums, art galleries and festivals. Get the most out of your next trip to Sydney and immerse yourself in its arts and culture with this handy guide.
- Sydney Opera House – Hands down one of the most iconic venues for opera, ballet, plays and concerts. Check ahead to see what’s on at the Opera House; look out for performances by Opera Australia and Australian Ballet, for a real Aussie cultural experience.
- Enmore Theatre – Opening in 1908, the Enmore Theatre is the longest running live music venue still operational in New South Wales, and has everything from live music to big comedy acts and plays.
- Belvoir Theatre – Based in Sydney’s Surry Hills the Belvoir Theatre is one of Australia’s most celebrated and acclaimed theatre companies and home to some of the very best plays and shows that theatre has to offer.
- Art Gallery of NSW – Established in 1871, the Art Gallery of New South Wales is one of Australia’s foremost institutions, showcasing works by past and present Australian and international artists. Inside the gallery itself is the Yiribana Gallery which is dedicated to showcasing works by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island artists.
- Museum of Contemporary Art – At this contemporary art gallery in Sydney you’ll find an engaging program of exhibitions and events, including major thematic exhibitions, solo exhibitions and work by some top emerging artists.
- InArt – InArt Sydney Art Tours are designed to take you on a tour of discovery across Sydney's vibrant contemporary art scene from the perspective of a true insider, offering unrivalled access into Sydney's creative life - from contemporary Australian and Indigenous art and culture in Sydney to the very best art, food and wine experiences.
- Australian Museum – The museum is home to an extensive collection of natural science and cultural artefacts, with galleries dedicated to natural history, dinosaurs, Indigenous Australians and Australia’s unique wildlife.
- Australian National Maritime Museum – The museum showcases a fantastic array of seafaring, coastal, naval and cultural themes with artefacts, exhibitions and guided tours, including the ever-popular attraction that gives you the opportunity to climb aboard a naval submarine and a replica 18th century tall ship.
- Powerhouse Museum – This flagship venue of Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (MAAS) houses a unique and diverse collection spanning across science, technology, design, engineering, architecture, health, fashion and contemporary culture.